Back to top
Garlinge Primary and Nursery School - Logo

01843 221877

Garlinge Primary School and Nursery, Westfield Road, Margate, Kent, CT9 5PA

SEND Report


This report sets out our annual offer to children with Special Educational Needs and/or Disability (SEND). To be effective it needs the views of all parents/carers, learners, governors and members of staff. Please engage with our annual process to ‘assess, plan, do, and review' provision for SEND and contact any of the people below with your views:-

  • Head of School: Mrs A Northrop
  • Assistant Headteacher/SENDCo: Mrs S Bond
  • SEND Governor: Mrs A Harrison
  • Executive Headteacher: Mr J Williams


In 2013 the Children's and Families Bill became law and has reformed the systems for adoption, looked after children, family justice and special educational needs. Within the bill the Government transformed the system for children and young people with SEN, including those who are disabled, so that services consistently support the best outcomes for them. SEND Code of Practice (2014) extends the SEN system from birth to 25, giving children and young people and their parents' greater control and choice in decisions and ensuring needs are properly met. There is also statutory guidance for supporting pupils at school with medical conditions (please refer to our medical policy). The following document aims to demonstrate how we meet the needs of our children at Garlinge Primary School and Nursery in compliance with statutory guidance.

Garlinge Primary School and Nursery is an inclusive school and we aim to ensure that all pupils, including those with special educational needs and/or disability (SEND) have their needs met. Garlinge Primary School and Nursery values the abilities and achievements of all its pupils. It is committed to providing for each pupil the best possible environment for learning in which they can reach their full potential academically, personally and socially no matter what special need is experienced.


The school's special educational needs and disability provision and report comply with the statutory requirement laid out in the SEND Code of Practice (2014) and is written with reference to the following guidance and documents:

Policies to read in conjunction with SEND Information Report and Policy are:

Administration of Medicines in Schools Policy
Accessibility Policy
Inclusion Policy
Positive Behaviour Policy
Safeguarding Policy
Single Equality Scheme
Child Protection Policy


What is Special Educational Needs and/or Disability?

The SEND Code of Practice (2014) defines Special Educational Needs as:

xiii. A child or young person has SEN if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her.

xiv. A child of compulsory school age or a young person who has a learning difficulty or disability if he or she:

  • Has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age, or
  • Has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools or mainstream post- 16 institutions.
What is the school’s approach to teaching pupils with special educational needs?

High quality inclusive teaching, differentiated and adapted for individual pupils, is the first step in responding to pupils who have or may have SEND. Additional support and intervention cannot compensate for a lack of good quality teaching. Schools should regularly and carefully review the quality of teaching for all pupils, including those at risk of underachievement. This includes reviewing and where necessary, improving teachers’ understanding of strategies to identify and support vulnerable pupils and their knowledge of the SEND most frequently encountered (SEND Code of Practice, 2015, 6.37). At Garlinge Primary School and Nursery training is regularly provided to members of staff in areas of SEND to ensure the needs of children are met in line with current thinking and best practice.

At Garlinge Primary School and Nursery the quality of teaching is judged to be GOOD in our last Ofsted inspection.

We follow the Mainstream Core Standards developed by Kent County to ensure that our teaching conforms to best practice:

What kinds of SEND are provided for?

At Garlinge Primary School and Nursery we make provision for children with special educational needs and/or disability within each of the four categories defined in the SEND Code of Practice (2014) (para 6.27 – 6.35):

  1. Communication and Interaction
  2. Cognition and Learning
  3. Social, Emotional and Mental Health
  4. Sensory and/or Physical

Children with SEND may need extra help due to a range of different needs. The purpose of identifying the area of need/s of the child is not to fit them into a category but rather to consider the child’s needs as a whole that helps ensure the school can plan adequate provision. The categories of need are described as follows:

Communication and Interaction

Children with speech, language and communication needs may have difficulty making sense of language or in communicating their needs and wants to others. Some children may need support developing fluency or forming sounds, words and sentences. They may also have difficulties in social situations as they do not understand the social rules of communication. These needs can change over time and may have difficulty with one, some or all of the different aspects of speech, language and social communication.

Cognition and Learning

Learning difficulties cover a wide range of needs, including moderate learning difficulties (MLD) and severe learning difficulties (SLD), where children are likely to need support in some, or all areas of the curriculum and may have associated difficulties with mobility and communication. When children have profound and multiple learning difficulties (PMLD), they are likely to have severe and complex learning difficulties as well as a physical disability and sensory impairment. A child can also have a specific learning difficulty (SpLD) which may affect one area of their learning and encompasses a range of conditions, such as dyscalculia, dyslexia and Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD).

Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties

Social, emotional and mental health needs can manifest in many different ways and can look different for all children. They could find managing their relationships with other people difficult, and may display behaviour that can hinder theirs and other’s learning that can negatively impact on their health, well-being and their quality of life. Some children may have disorders such as Attention, Deficit Disorder (ADD), Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), or attachment disorder.

Sensory and/or Physical Needs

Children may have a visual or hearing impairment or have a physical need for which they require additional ongoing support and equipment to ensure that lessons and learning opportunities are accessible. Garlinge Primary School and Nursery is a Specialist Resourced Provision for children with a physical disability.

It is not uncommon that children may have SEND that falls into one or more of the above categories.

Our SEND profile for 2019-2020 is presented in the tables below:

Year Level Monitoring Group (MG) SEN Support (K code) High Needs Funding (HNF)/SENIF EHCP (E code) Specialist Provision for PI Children (SRP)
Nursery 0 4 2 1 0
Reception 11 9 3 4 1
Year 1 3 7 8 10 1
Year 2 15 8 4 5 1
Year 3 10 15 5 4 1
Year 4 12 5 6 7 0
Year 5 14 14 3 8 1
Year 6 21 11 0 1 0
TOTAL 86 73 31 40 5
Percentage 10.6% 9.0% 3.85% 5.0% 0.6%

The overall number of children on the SEND register is: 14.0% (1.9% higher than national average)

The number of children requiring SEND support (K Code) is: 9.0%

The number of children with an EHCP (E Code) is: 5.0% (1.7% higher than national average)

This compare with national percentages as follows:

  • 3.3% of all pupils in schools in England have an Education, health and care (EHC) plan, a rise from 3.1% in 2019
  • A further 12.1% of all pupils have SEN support, without an EHC plan, up from 11.9% in 2019.
  • The most common type of need for pupils with an EHC plan is autistic spectrum disorders and for pupils with SEN support is speech, communication and language needs
  • SEN is more prevalent in boys than girls, with boys representing 73.1% of all pupils with an EHC plan and 64.6% of pupils with SEN support

Our main areas of need are presented in the table below:

Areas of Need Cognition and Learning (C&L) Communication and Interaction (C&I) Social, mental and emotional health (SEMH) Physical and Sensory (P&S)
Percentage of Pupils on the SEND Register (113 pupils) 13.3% 51.3% 37.2% 10%
What should I do if I think my child/young person may have special educational needs?

If you think that your child has a special educational need please discuss this with the class teacher in the first instance. The school will then start to monitor your child and investigate further if necessary.

How does the school evaluate the effectiveness of its provision for such pupils? What are the school’s arrangements for assessing and reviewing the progress of pupils with special educational needs?

Every pupil in the school has their progress tracked six times a year and this is discussed in pupil progress meetings; three with senior leadership, the class teacher and the SENDCo and three with the Department Leader. These seek to identify pupils making less than expected progress given their age and individual circumstances.

The SEND Code of Practice (2014, 6.17) describes a child as making less than expected progress as:

  • Significantly slower than that of their peers starting from the same baseline
  • Fails to match or better the child’s previous rate of progress
  • Fails to close the attainment gap between the child and their peers
  • Widens the attainment gap

For those children identified as making less than expected progress the class teacher will arrange a meeting with parents/carers to discuss the child’s progress and put in place extra provision to support the child’s needs. Examples of extra provision we put in place to enable the pupil to make expected progress are interventions such as:

  • On Track Maths
  • Precision Teaching
  • On Track Reading
  • Speech and Language group and 1:1 intervention
  • Social Skills
  • Sensory Circuits
  • NLP spelling
  • Paired Reading

(A more detailed list will be published on our Whole School Provision Map)

Targets for each child will be set and reviewed to see if the extra provision has made an impact. If the child does not make the progress expected, despite high quality inclusive teaching and targeted teaching focussing on areas of difficulty, further assessments will be used to determine the cause of the learning difficulty and appropriate provision will be determined (such assessments include;

Speech and Language Link, Boxall Profile, Salford Reading Test, RAPID/LUCID screening). This will be done in consultation with the parents/carers.

The school cannot offer diagnoses – however, the school can make referrals to outside agencies – but this will need parental or carers consent. For higher levels of need the school is able to draw on more specialised assessments from external agencies and professionals, such as Educational Psychologist, Speech and Language Therapist, Integrated Therapy Team, paediatrician or other suitably qualified health professional.

Garlinge Primary School and Nursery take all parental concerns about their child seriously and investigate them appropriately. These concerns will be recorded and compared to the schools own assessment and information on how their child is developing. Generally, the concern can be addressed in partnership with the parents and quality first inclusive teaching and no further action is required. If the child requires specialised SEND support that is additional and above what the school usually provides, the child may be placed on the SEND Register. When this happens, the school will take action to remove barriers to learning and put effective SEND provision in place. If the child’s needs cannot be met with universal or targeted support a personalised plan (SEN support) will be put in place and this will follow a four part cycle; assess, plan, do and review (termly). This is also the same when a child has a provision plan attached to an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).


The assessment process requires parents, the school and the child to work in partnership to set outcomes for the child to work towards in school and at home. This is set out in the SEND Code of Practice (2014):

“This information gathering should include an early discussion with the pupil and their parents. These early discussions should be structured in such a way that they develop a good understanding of the pupil’s areas of strengths and difficulty, the parents’ concerns, the agreed outcomes sought for the child and the next steps. A short note of these early discussions should be added to the pupil’s record on the school information system and given to the parents. Schools should also tell parents and young people about the local authority’s information, advice and support service” (SEND Code of Practice 0-25 years, p.99 para 6.38).

It may also be necessary at this stage to involve services from outside agencies from health and social care, if they are not already supporting the child, to help in the assessment process.


The class teacher, SENDCO and/or Inclusion leader will work in partnership with parents, the child and outside agencies (if appropriate) to agree adjustments, interventions and support to be put in place as well as the expected impact on progress, behaviour or development and this information will be put onto a personalised/provision plan. A review date will be decided. The support should be well suited to meet the child’s needs and delivered by appropriately trained and skilled members of staff. This is clearly set out in the SEND Code of Practice (2014):

“The class or subject teacher should remain responsible for the working with the child on a daily basis. Where the interventions involve group or one-to-one teaching away from the main class or subject teacher, they should still retain responsibility for the pupil. They should work closely with any teaching assistants or specialist staff involved, to plan and assess the impact of support and interventions and how they can be linked to classroom teaching. The SENDCo should support the class or subject teacher in the further assessment of the child’s particular strengths and weaknesses, in problem solving and advising on the effective implementation of support” (SEND Code of Practice 0-25 years, p.101, para 6.52).


The class teacher is responsible for the progress of all children in their class including overseeing the support and interventions that are given to the child even if these are away from the main class. They will work closely with support staff and other professionals to implement targets and activities to achieve the outcomes stated. The SENDCo, Department Leader and Inclusion Leader will liaise closely with the class teacher to assess and review the provision.


Regular discussion will take place to evaluate the impact of the interventions and a review date will be set with parents. Each review of the SEND personalised support plan/provision plan will be informed by the views of the pupil, parents/carers and class teacher and the assessment information provided by teachers will show whether expected progress is being made. For pupils with or without an Education Health and Care Plan there will be three reviews annually of the provision made for the child. If the child has an Education, Health Care Plan (EHCP), the Local Authority (LA) must review the plan annually. This will enable an evaluation of the effectiveness of the special provision. If, with the extra provision provided, the child makes expected progress, they may no longer need to be on the SEND register or require an EHCP. However, the child will still be monitored to ensure that progress continues and the child’s needs are met.

What is an Educational Health Care Plan?

A small number of children may require an Educational Health Care Plan (EHCP) to ensure that their individual needs can be fully met or may require specialist support and/or placement if their needs cannot be met through high needs funding in mainstream education. If the process to gain an EHCP has been accepted by the Local Educational Authority and a statutory assessment has been agreed, the school will fully support parents in this process and in meeting the statutory requirements set out in the EHCP.

For more information please go to

How does the school adapt the curriculum and learning environment for pupils with special educational needs?

At Garlinge Primary School and Nursery we follow the advice in the Mainstream Core Standards on how to adapt the curriculum and the learning environment for pupils with special educational needs. We also incorporate the advice provided as a result of assessments, both internal and external, and the strategies written in personalised and provision plans.

As a Specialist Resourced Provision for children with Physical Disabilities, Garlinge Primary School and Nursery ensures the best possible accessibility for our children who may need access to specialist equipment such as wheelchairs, walkers, trikes etc. This accessibility consists of appropriate care suite facilities, a full time Medical Welfare Officer and disability access at main entry and exits. This is regularly reviewed by the Governing body of the school and facilities maintained and/or updated as appropriate. The school adheres to the stipulations outlined in The Equality Act 2010: Section 6 (Chapter 1) The school also adheres to the requirements stipulated in our service level agreement for our SRP.

As and where necessary, if an area of the school is identified as in need of improvement, it will be the school’s best endeavour to improve this either through building and maintenance improvements; or by staff training. This will be outlined in our Accessibility Policy Action Plan.

How does the school provide additional support for learning that is available to pupils with special educational needs?

As part of our budget we receive ‘notional SEN funding’. This funding is used to ensure that the quality of teaching is good in the school. It is also used to provide additional and different provision for pupils requiring SEN support. The amount of support required for each pupil to make good progress will be different in each case and designed to meet the child’s needs. In some cases a very high level of resource is required. The funding arrangements require schools to provide up to £6,000 per year of resource for pupils with high needs. If resources go above £6,000, the school can apply for High Needs Funding from the LA to ensure that the child’s needs are met. ( High Needs Funding is applied for every year and is allocated with a graduated approach (this decreases each year) for each pupil.

Pupils in receipt of High Needs Funding is presented in the breakdown below:

Pupil Monthly funding Pupil Monthly funding
1 659.24 17 870.42
2 419.06 18 869.71
3 507.26 19 701.72
4 370.35 20 869.71
5 701.72 21 1210.79
6 567.89 22 710.63
7 685.61 23 153.78
8 563.01 24 78.19
9 1330.54 25 153.78
10 507.26 26 869.71
11 419.06 27 279.32
12 869.71 28 869.71
13 755.78 29 567.89
14 507.26 30 869.71
15 370.35 31 241.59
16 419.06    
How does the school enable pupils with special educational needs to engage in activities of the school (including physical activities) together with children who do not have special educational needs?

All clubs, trips and activities offered to pupils at Garlinge Primary School and Nursery are available to pupils with special educational needs either with or without an Education, Health and Care Plan. Where it is necessary, the school will use the resources available to it to provide additional adult support to enable the safe participation of the pupil in the activity. It is also our practice to adapt environment and equipment when and where necessary to ensure equal access and successful participation.

What support is available for improving the social, emotional and well-being development of pupils with special educational needs?

At Garlinge Primary School and Nursery, we understand that an important feature of the school is to enable all pupils to develop emotional resilience and social skills, both through direct teaching, for example, via Personal, Social and Health Education; extensive extra-curricular programme; Nurture; Circle Time, Religious Education, Forest School programmes; and indirectly with every conversation adults have with pupils throughout the day, our Positive Behaviour Policy and via the use of restorative approaches. This starts from the moment children join Garlinge Primary School and Nursery, with emotional resilience forming a large part of the child initiated learning in reception class. Teachers, Teaching Assistants and Mid-day Meal Supervisors have all been trained in Restorative Approaches to support children’s social, emotional and mental health needs.

For some pupils with the most need in this area we also provide more bespoke support, such as 1:1 support or group work with the learning mentors, support from the school’s Family Liaison Officer, and support from outside agencies where and when necessary, or a referral to NELFT (CAMHs).

What is the name and contact details of the co-ordinator for SEND?

The Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENDCo) at Garlinge Primary School and Nursery is Mrs Sarah-Jayne Bond, she is a qualified teacher and trained and experienced in all key areas of SEND and also holds the following qualifications: B.A. (Hons) Degree; PGCE (Post Graduate Certificate of Education); PGC (Post Graduate Certificate in Psychology); MA (Distinction) Special Educational Needs and Autism (Children); NASENDCo (National Award for Special Educational Needs Co-ordination); NPQSL (National Professional Qualification in Senior Leadership).

Mrs Sarah-Jayne Bond is available on 01843 221877 or

What expertise and training do the staff have at Garlinge Primary School and Nursery in relation to children with special educational needs and how is specialist expertise secured?

Garlinge Primary School and Nursery hold the Centre of Excellence Award for Inclusion with the IQM (Inclusion Quality Mark). Both the Deputy Headteacher and SENDCo are Local Inclusion Team Executive Committee and the Inclusion Steering Group for Thanet. Training needs of members of staff at Garlinge Primary School and Nursery are related to ensuring high quality inclusive teaching and the needs of the children as well as new national curriculum developments. Sometimes members of staff receive specialist training to ensure provision can be met for our children with specific needs, such as autism; speech, language and communication; and social, emotional and mental health needs.

Examples of training members of staff received in 2019-2020 are as follows:

  • Hearing Impairment
  • Positive Behaviour Support
  • Precision Teaching
  • Speech, Language and Communication Needs
  • Sep 2020 Page 10 of 13
  • Communication Aids
  • Sensory Needs
  • Selective Mutism
  • Sensory Circuits
  • Manual Handling
  • Hoist Training
  • Visual Impairment
  • Autism Awareness
  • NQT training and special educational needs
  • Dealing with Bereavement and Loss
  • Mental Well-being in Children and Young People

Where a training need is identified beyond this we will find a provider who is able to deliver it. Training providers we can approach are: Educational Psychology team; TISS (Thanet Inclusion Support Service); CAT team; Health services (OT, Physio etc.). The SENDCo also regularly attends the SENDCo forum and Local Inclusion Forum Team meetings that form an important part of professional development within the school.

How does a child with Special Educational Needs and/or Disability get equipment and facilities to support their needs?

Where external advisors recommend the use of equipment or facilities which the school does not have, the school will purchase it using the notional SEND funding, or seek it by loan. For highly specialist communication equipment the school will seek the advice from the KCC Communication and Assistive Technology team.

How can parents/carers be involved in their child’s education?

All parents with children at Garlinge Primary School and Nursery are invited to discuss the progress of their children on a number of occasions throughout the year and receive a written report once a year. In-year parental meetings for children on our SEN register happen each whole term with the class teacher so that provision relating to the child’s SEND can be discussed and reviewed. For those children with an EHCP we feel that it is important that parents/carers are fully involved in the annual review process ensuring that there is plenty of opportunity for them to engage in this process in line with the SEND Code of Practice (2014, 1.1). Parents/carers are also invited to support their child with their continued learning at home. This could be helping with homework, hearing your child read, making fun ways to learn their spellings, completing extra reading on a topic etc. Parents/carers are also invited to help with school trips, curriculum events – such as information and support on the teaching and learning of maths. Coffee mornings and events organised by the schools family liaison officer as well as having the opportunity to become actively involved in the Parents, Teachers and Friends Association (PTFA) of the school at school events, such as Christmas and Summer fairs.

What are the arrangements made by the governing body relating to the treatment of complaints from parents of pupils with special educational needs concerning the provision made at the school?

The arrangements for the treatment of complaints at Garlinge Primary School and Nursery are used for complaints about provision made for special educational needs. We encourage parents to discuss their concerns with: their child’s class teacher; SENDCo; Assistant Headteachers, Deputy Headteachers or the Headteacher to resolve the issue before making the complaint formal to the Chair of the Governing Body.

If the complaint is not resolved after it has been considered by the Governing Body, then a disagreement resolution service or mediation service can be contracted. If it remains unresolved after this, the complaint can appeal to the First-Tier Tribunal (Special Educational Needs and Disability), if the case refers to disability discrimination, or to the Secretary of State for all other cases.

There are some circumstances, usually for children who have an EHCP where there is a statutory right for parents to appeal against the decision of the LA. Complaints which fall within this category cannot be investigated by the school.

How does the governing body involve other bodies, including health and social services bodies, local authority support services and voluntary organisations, in meeting the needs of pupils with special educational needs and/or disability in supporting the families of such pupils?

The governing body has engaged with the following bodies:

  • Free membership of LIFT for access to specialist teaching and learning service
  • Link to Disabled Children’s Service for support to families for some pupils with high needs
  • Access to LA’s service level agreement with Speech and Language Therapy services/Occupational Therapy services/Physiotherapy services for pupils with requirements for direct therapy or advice
  • Ability to seek advice when required from the Communication and Assistive Technology Team
  • A service level agreement with Dare to Differ to work directly with vulnerable children.
  • Membership of professional networks for the SENDCO and the Inclusion team – which all staff can access, such as The Nurture Group, The National Autistic Society, NASEN, Whole School Send and SEN Leadership
What are the contact details of support services for the parents of pupils with special educational needs, including those for arrangements made in accordance with clause 32 (Parent Partnership Services)?

Kent Parent Partnership Service (KPPS) Information Advice provides free, impartial, confidential, advice, support and options around educational issues for parents who have children with special educational needs or disabilities (0-19). They empower parents to play an active and informed role in their child’s education.

They can be contacted on:

Independent Support Kent (ISK)
Tel: 0300 011 01 51

Below is a link to their information leaflet:

What are the school’s arrangements for supporting pupils with special educational needs and/or disabilities in transferring between phases of education or in preparing for adulthood and independent living?

When moving to a new school, Garlinge Primary School and Nursery will ensure that they can provide a smooth transition. This includes informing the new school of current achievements, support that was in place and any other important information specific to the child. This is also the case for any child joining us from another school, in these instances Garlinge will endeavour to gather as much information from the previous school as possible. The SENDCo will attend a transfer day, meeting with the SENDCos of local nurseries and secondary schools to pass on information about the children moving to us in Reception or to their secondary school at the end of Year 6. When more support is needed this is discussed in consultation with parent/carers to determine a plan of provision and support according to the child’s needs.

If your child has an EHCP, parents/carers will be asked to name their choice of secondary school during the Annual Review at the end of year 5 – beginning of year 6.

Once the Secondary School has been named, Garlinge will work closely to support transition for the child working in partnership with the new school, parents and child, so that suitable provision is in place.

Where is the LA’s Local Offer published?

The LA’s local offer is published on:

Parents without internet access should make an appointment with the SENDCo for support to gain the information they require.

Appendix 1 - Process for identifying and supporting SEN at Garlinge Primary School and Nursery